To enter Mexico with a vehicle you will need to have the following documents:
- Valid Driver’s License
- Certificate of Title or Vehicle Registration
- FMT tourist permit
- Temporary Vehicle Import Permit
- Valid Insurance for Mexico
- Vehicle Bond
Everything, except for the driver’s license and the vehicle title/registration, can be taken care of at the border, and must be done before entering the country. When leaving Mexico, you must return the documents that were issued to you upon entry.
- Temporary Import Permit – US$29.70
- FMT Tourist Permit – 210pesos (~US$17)
- Vehicle Bond – $200 to $400 (depends on the age of the vehicle and is refunded when exiting Mexico)
A very good webiste for more information on entry into Mexico from the United States: http://www.nmborder.com/travel_mexico.html
You can get insurance from a few different companies. I plan on buying insurance through a company called BajaBound. I thought insurance was a little expensive, but BajaBound has been the best solution I have found.
At the time of writing (2/27/2011), the currency of Mexico is the Mexican Peso (MXN), which is valued at .08USD. The inverse of this is, of course, 1USD to 12.12MXN.